The University respects copyrights and other intellectual property rights
and will do its best to comply with the applicable copyright laws, regulations
and guidelines. The University is concerned with possible infringement of
copyright and other intellectual property rights by its appointees and students,
and for which the University may have vicarious liability. All Units/Departments/Schools
are therefore requested to help ensure compliance with the applicable laws,
regulations and guidelines, and suggest precautionary measures.
- Hong Kong's existing Copyright Ordinance came into effect on June 27, 1997
and has been amended for many times to put it beyond doubt
that any person who knowingly possesses an infringing copy of a copyright work
for the purpose of, in the course of, or in connection with trade or business
will commit a criminal offence, regardless of whether the business is involved
in dealing in the infringing copies. Both management and the appointer
concerned can be liable.
For details of the Copyright Ordinance (Chapter 528) and the
Amendment Ordinance please consult http://www.ipd.gov.hk/eng/intellectual_property/ip_laws/copyright.htm.
All appointees shall acquaint themselves with and observe the applicable
laws, regulations and guidelines. Acts of infringement/non-compliance may give
rise to criminal and civil liabilities against the persons concerned.
- Please read carefully the information documents listed in the Schedule.
They provide useful guides on prevention against infringement/non-compliance.
- The above regulations and guidelines are by no means exhaustive. Members
of the University are welcome to consult with the following units:
Additional information on how to avoid infringement of
copyright laws will also be obtainable from the following
- Talk on Intellectual Property Rights Enforcement in Hong Kong
- Copyright and Education
- Intellectual Property Rights Enforcement in Hong Kong
(1) What is Intellectual Property?
in Education in Hong Kong
(4) Compliance with Copyright Ordinance
(5) Regulations and
guidelines applicable to the use of library services at the
(6) Regulations and guidelines
applicable to the use of computer software, internet and other IT services at
(7) Guidelines for Classroom
(8) Suggestions on CUSU
and its Registered Student Bodies' Compliance of the Copyright
(9) Intellectual Property Department New Press Releases
Last Updated: March 31, 2021