It is unique among the nine colleges in the University. Not an ordinary office…
Here is the navigation room for your wonderful journey of life.……
We walk with you to explore the spiritual world and open up the universe of faith and life on campus.
Here is the garden where faith and life grow...
We walk with you to start from your heart to understand your inner self, and open up your life potential to think about meaning of life, that to nurture you to become a servant leader.
Let Chaplain’s Office walk with you to explore the life encountering during your stay in Chung Chi!
Chung Chi College Chapel
At the moment the College Chapel is the earliest and largest independent sanctuary for worship on the public university campus in China. The engraved emblems of former thirteen Christian universities in China on the chancel walls bear witness of the rich heritage and mission of Chung Chi College as an institution of Christian higher education. As the first stance of the college anthem states:
Men from four seas founded Chung Chi so that here might youth
Honor Christ, eternal teacher, who Himself is truth.
Through the long night keep the torch bright and the work begun
Till the lights of faith and knowledge show the world made one.
Ministries of Chaplain’s Office
The Chaplain’s Office implants the College’s campus life and culture with Christian spirit rooted as a mission, and promotes a caring campus which is bonded by the love of Christ.
- Student Pastoral Ministry — In order to enhance Chung Chi campus to deepen its roots of reflecting the value of Christian spirit and belief, the Chaplain’s Office establishes a core platform for the growth of Christian student leaders and strengthens the cultivation of Christian leadership. In addition, the Chaplain’s Office serves as the Converging Hub of different Christian groups at the University and Chung Chi College, aims to promote more Christian to serve as one and witness their faith. Key student pastoral programmes include Christian Leadership and Advancement Programme (CLAP), Love in Action Programme, Host Family Caring Programme, Non-local Students Caring Programme, Global Gathering-In Jesus We Bond, support Chung Chi Fellowship: leader training / weekly meeting / hostel ministry, Christian outreach services: community outreach services / overseas service trip, chaplain’s bible workshop and life & mediation workshop, and Prayer Altar & Prayer Academy.
- Staff Ministry – During term time, the Chaplain’s Office presents monthly luncheon talk planned by the Pastoral and Spiritual Care Committee; besides, the Chaplain’s Office provides support to colleagues who may have the need of pastoral care.
- Sunday Service — The Chaplain’s Office conducts Sunday Service on Sunday mornings. The worship service provides spiritual nourishment and fellowship time to the community of both campus and the neighborhood. The service is conducted in Cantonese, with simultaneous interpretation in Putonghua and English. The University Sermon provides a forum for dialogue of faith and culture, and deepens the congregation’s understanding of Christian faith.
- College Assembly — It is held during the 4th and 5th teaching sessions on Fridays during school term. When the assembly begins, the Chaplain leads a ten-minute worship with hymns, scripture reading and prayer related to the topics of the assembly, and set the tone for the subsequent talk. The worship time provides pastoral care, moral education and spiritual formation for students and staff.
- Annual Celebrations — The Chaplain’s Office is participating in organizing the annual Founders’ Day Thanksgiving Service on the Last Friday of October and the Graduation Ceremony in November. The Chaplain’s Office also organizes campus caroling, church festive events and chapel anniversary activities.
- Music Ministry — The Chaplain’s Office maintains an active music program. Every Monday at 1:30 pm during the school term, “Midday Oasis” provides 25-minute breathing space for students, teachers and staff to refresh and refuel themselves with beautiful vocal and instrumental music. Besides, the Chaplain’s Office also organizes the Sunday School Children Choir and Chung Chi Chapel Choir. Home to a two-manual mechanical pipe organ built by Detlef Kleuker from Bielefeld, Germany, the organ at Chung Chi Chapel is essential for training of student organists in performance and liturgical function.
- Spiritual Counseling — The Chaplain is available to meet with students and staff who seek spiritual counseling and on matters related to personal faith.
- Student Visitor / Exchange Programmes — As a member of the Federation of Chinese University and College Chaplaincies, a biennial summer exchange camp is organized for students of local and Taiwan Christian Universities. Students from thirteen member institutions come together to learn, to share, to serve and to celebrate. The Chaplain’s Office also promotes students to participate in local joint school Christian activities, such as the Hong Kong College and University Joint School Prayer Meeting.
- The Meditation Chapel — The Meditation Chapel located on the first floor of the College Chapel, opens to university students and staff, every Monday to Friday, from 8:30 am to 5 pm (except public holidays) for meditation and prayer in silence.
- Wedding Ceremonies — Since 2002, the Chung Chi College Chapel has been authorized to administrate the ceremony of holy matrimony. For further information, CUHK alumni and staff may visit the webpage of the Chaplain’s Office at https://www.cco.cuhk.edu.hk/chaplaincy.
The College respects the personal faith of students and staff but expects their reciprocal deference for the College Christian heritage. We consider our Christian tradition an added value to our education.
Enquiries: 3943 6982